Thursday, August 11, 2011

How will you be remembered?

On another one of my longer runs last night, I had plenty of time for my mind to wander...thinking of my husband's grandfather (as I'm sure you may have read about in any one of the three blogs posted by Mike, his brother Eric and sister, Amy) and not to sound too corny, the "circle of life".  How do we want to leave our mark on the world?

As we lose those close to us, be it members of our family, close friends, or people who are very much like family, we automatically go back to memories we have of that person- how they've played a roll in our lives, maybe even how we could  have improved the relationship, funny recollections...but especially their legacy.  There are some who leave us  perhaps followed by a procession of adoring fans, maybe first in line of a myriad of firetrucks, police cars or interred with military honors...some may leave us with very little fanfare - but they've all spent their time among us...

My point is, no matter who you are or what you do, you impact others on this earth just by the very fact you exist.  I know I'm not alone when I wonder what it'll be like when I pass - will there be a lot of friends along with my family to celebrate my life?  (I'd much rather look at it that way).  Will I have made a big or small difference in the lives of anyone around me?  Will I leave a lasting legacy, perhaps through multiple generations?  I know of a few individuals (who shall not be named here!) who have things very much planned out...and have already visualized their lives all the way up through their deaths.  I'm not sure if most people have done the same...I haven't been too detailed in my thoughts about this, but seeing/hearing about someone you know facing the end of their life can certainly get you thinking a bit more in depth on the subject.

No one I've ever known will ever be forgotten - every now and then something will pop up that reminds me of someone in particular.  It might be subtle, or sometimes very powerful - I might laugh out loud remembering a funny story, or turn wistful when I'm reminded of how I used to feel around that person...I hope I live my life leaving good memories for all who surround me...and truly hope they all will remember me and celebrate my life when I'm gone.



No comments:

Post a Comment