Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's Not For The Weak

I remember once when I was visiting my dad in Seattle, we popped into a very small bookstore that had both new and gently used books.  It was next to a small independent coffee shop (which I'm pretty sure is the only reason why we stopped in...my dad is a small coffee shop fanatic), so after we got a regular drip coffee for me and a double bone dry cappuccino for my dad, we went over to take a look.

I happened upon a book on surgical procedures ranging from the very short & sweet to very involved.  I've always been very interested in human anatomy and how things work...so it was neat to see different surgeries documented artistically....until...I started feeling very hot.  And woozy.  And kind of sick to my stomach.  Looking at the photos in the book was making me sick!  I actually had to close it up and head outside for fresh air...what a wimp! 

Since then, along the way, I've noticed that certain things made me feel the same way - kid's loose teeth (the "hanging by a thread" kind), vomit that didn't quite make it into the toilet,  big, thick scabs that start coming loose...you get the idea.  All part of the wonderful parenting experience.  I would never have learned how truly strong my stomach can be were it not for the 3 wonderful children I've raised thus far...3 very active, wonderful kids...

This afternoon I had the privilege of adding "stitch removal" to my mom-resume (repeat knowledge for those who are "friends" of mine on FB)...and I'm quite impressed with my skills, I might add...although kid #2 is a seasoned veteran of "stitching" anyway, so she was cool as a cucumber as I removed all 7 of 'em.  It also helped that I've seen it done about 5 other times...(Kid #1 is no stranger to lacerations, either).  I was doing great too, until I got to the last one...which was tied very tight and somehow managed to heal itself in with the cut...I started getting the all too familiar feelings of heat, wooziness and nauseousness, but somehow managed to keep it together and remove the last, stubborn stitch...without the kid noticing the beads of sweat forming on my nose...

I guess I can chalk it up to life experience...the more you experience - the more adversity you face and come away from intact - the more you grow and the more you can take on without, in this case, passing out.  Although, here's to hoping for no more ER visits - I think I've grown enough in that regard!

No comments:

Post a Comment