Thursday, October 20, 2011

You get out what you put in.

There are countless foundations that exist to raise funds/awareness for any number of causes; disease, animal rescue, organ donation, to name a few.  Some are huge, while others might be local groups only concerned with a small geographical area.  Some have even managed to grow big enough to be a household name, or at the very least instantly recognizeable by any member of the public. 

Two friends of mine participated in an event last weekend for one organization in particular because they both have been affected by breast cancer; one a survivor, the other a supporter and friend who walked for many people who've battled the disease. 

I'm choosing not to name names, although I'm sure many of you can guess what I'm referring to.  While I am completely impressed with how much money and awareness is raised - so much good comes from these organizations and events, especially the sense of accomplishment and comraderie by the participants - I'm at a loss when it comes to the food they offered the participants along the way.

I 100%, with all my being believe that you are what you eat.  You only get out what you put in.  When you eat, you are fueling all processes of your body - would you fill up your car's gas tank with soda and expect it to work right?  Why then would you fill your body with junk and expect nothing but optimal performance?

While I understand there were some good options for refueling along the way (such as fresh fruit and lean protein), I (just for example) wish something like salted peanuts were handed out for salt replacement instead of chips.  Or loads of fresh fruit or even dark chocolate covered strawberries were offered for dessert, rather than cakes and other treats. 

I also understand we all like to eat goodies, particularly as a reward for hard work...but isn't that kind of mentality what got us to where we are in the first place?  The top three killers of American people are preventable (source).  Including some cancers (source 1, source 2).  I would love to see these big organizations include a food awareness component...maybe the message would reach more people, and more disease could be prevented from happening in the first place, especially when it comes to our daughters and sons. 

I'd love to hear what you think...

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, have met so many people that believe their cancers were food related. As far as the peanuts, I'm with ya girl, only peanuts are not as light on your stomach..... unless yours is steel?

    ReplyDelete