Thursday, September 15, 2011

Training? We don't need no stinkin' training...

So there's this little thing called a half marathon I'm supposed to run in this weekend...and yet I've only logged 6 miles in the past 2 weeks.  Yeesh.

Call it the curse of the coming winter solstice, but something's got to give if I'm to continue training for a marathon on 10/30.  This summer was great - I could leave work and get a run in before it got too dark out...but now...not only do we have the craziest time of the year going on at Pro-Activity (translation:  Mike is away a good chunk of the time), but we've got not one, but TWO kids playing travel soccer - practices, practices, more practices and games on Saturdays and Sundays.  Not that I'm complaining...not really.  But just thinking back to the "old" days...I could wake up and go for a run before work, or go right after work.  Or around dinner time.  Basically, whenever I wanted.  Ah yes, pre-kids. 

However, I do find that I LOVE watching my girls play soccer.  I love watching them learn.  Make mistakes.  Have fun and feel so good about what they can do.  And the fact that the trainers all have British or some other easy-on-the-ears accents...

Both girls have such different takes on the sport - kid #1 is very analytical, deliberate and takes everything very literally, whereas kid #2...well...Mike likens her to a "bull in a china shop"...she's not intimidated by anything or anyone (where did this kid come from?)...and lets everyone know it.  I think it's every parent's right to see their kid excel in something, anything - just because of how proud of them you get for being proud of themselves.  But I digress...back to the running thing...

I suppose I'm just hoping to log a respectable time in Philly this Sunday...and manage to carve out some daylight time to log some serious mileage over the next month and a half.  If not, I'll need to invest in some serious night-vision gear so I don't break my ankles in the potholes that line the road nearby...although if I did, it might spur the local DOT to do something about those things!  Bah, probably not.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment