Friday, September 9, 2011

A Moment of Thanks

As I finally sat down to write my blog, I was planning to cover how hectic my life has been, particularly as of late.  I'm amazed that my kids haven't turned into 3-horned crazy loonies with all the changes and upheavals we've gone through over the past 3 months. 

But then, as I thought more about it...the 10th anniversary of 9/11 is almost here, and I feel like if a little turmoil (all for the good, by the way) is dragging me along a bit, I still have a whole heckofalot to be thankful for. 

We are priveledged to live in such a place where normally, our biggest concerns can be remembering to lock the car and the house up at night. Or making sure we know our children's friends parents before they have a "playdate". On the grand scheme...we are incredibly blessed. Of course, there are exceptions and I'm not trying to make light of true tragedy that some of us or our friends may experience. However, 9/11 was on a scale that none of us have ever experienced before, and hopefully never will again.

When the first plane hit the North Tower of the World Trade Center, everyone was confused.  Was it a plane?  An explosion?  I distinctly recall watching the news and first hand witnesses describing things like a small engine plane, probably a pilot who made a terrible error...then when live footage showed the second jet liner collide with the South Tower...it was unmistakable that this was no error.  In fact, I clearly recall someone on the news saying "we are under attack". 

As I sat, glued to the TV that day, holding my first newborn baby, it was hard to digest that this had really happened.  All the lives lost.  What they all experienced.  Hours upon hours of news coverage on every station...rumors of survivors, tales of the heroic dead...all the result of a terrorist attack.  On USA soil!  How was this even possible?

In the days that followed, I chose to try and focus mostly on the stories of our heros.  Home-grown, bonafide super heros who risked and even lost their lives that day.  What made some step up, take charge and do the incredibly risky things they did?  Or how about all the incredible men and women who did anything and everything they could to help at Ground Zero?  It was hard not to cry a bit - to mourn, but also in pride and awe of the people I share my country with. 

So, rather than bemoan a few nights of minimal sleep, long working hours, and being in the midst of moving...I'd rather say thank you to all our first responders and all the men and women who stepped forward to help that day.  Thank you to our servicemen and women who fight for us every day.  Thank you to all our home-grown heroes - for stepping up when no one else will and being leaders just when we need one. 

This Sunday we'll all say a special prayer of thanks to those who gave their lives on 9/11, and those who continue to risk their lives for us every day.  I will always be in your debt.

This video is about a 9/11 hero named Welles Crowther.  Incredible story, amazing hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment