Thursday, July 21, 2011

Time to make the do-nuts....

Now that I've got a few minutes (oops, might have just jinxed myself...) to sit and a) eat lunch, b) figure out what I'm going to write about, and c) try not to melt, I got to thinking...my working hours have drastically changed, and thus my life too.  I quit my 8a-4p, 40 hours-a-week job right after kid #1 came along...and "since I was going to be home anyway", I took over the books for Pro-Activity.  Enter kid #2 and finally kid #3....juggling work, infancy, preschool and finally up through grade school, I managed to get all the billing done, financials and lots of other miscellaneous stuff - all from the comforts of home.


Fast forward to about a month ago...now instead of "on my own time", I'm working a steady 7am to 8pm pace almost every day, the kids are here sometimes, with family others, and also with our awesome babysitter.  Starting this all was incredibly difficult for me - not having my little buddy with me 24/7...not being the one religiously picking the girls up from their various activities...I could completely understand and commiserate with the angst all those other working mom's have leaving their babies the first few times to return to work...only mine weren't infants (which I am forever grateful about).

Fast forward again to now - we're all getting used to the crazy schedule...and there's much less complaining or push-back from kid #2 and kid #1 when they have to get up early to come to work with me (Thank God!). They're having a good time with their cousins, Grammy & seemingly tireless babysitter Anna (who I hope keeps her sanity keeping them busy today when it's 100 degrees outside).  Whew.

So now I have these crazy hours, a husband who works some crazy hours, too...and I still need to train for my marathon in October, play soccer (we're in the quarterfinals!) AND actually spend some time with my family...and this is where I got to thinking...I couldn't do this all without their support, encouragement and understanding.  I could just skip it all - but where would that leave my mental and physical well-being?  I've certainly sacrificed these things before...and what's left is a frumpy-feeling miserable mom...and if "Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"...I'm much better able to be a better wife, mom and all around good person when I've been able to be active and enjoy my "hobbies"...and it's certainly not one sided  - Mike is even more active than I am (see his blog here), but whereas it might mean I won't spend all Saturday with him, I don't mind when he goes on a 60 mile bike ride because I know my turn is coming soon.  We plan ahead and fit the time in for both work and play...and no one ever feels left out or left behind.

I'm certainly not looking to keep this pace forever...in fact, I'd like to work a few less hours!  But I know Mike, my kids, and my extended family have my back...and just knowing that puts me at ease.  I'll be forever grateful to them...and hope I'm always able to support them as wholeheartedly as they do for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment