Thursday, July 14, 2011

Soccer, soccer, soccer....

Soccer fever is running high around here - and even more so now that our ladies of red, white & blue are in the World Cup Finals.  Kid #1 and #3 are psyched because I said they could paint their faces for the game...though I think kid #1 will actually watch, while #3 will likely be running around like a lunatic - probably something akin to William Wallace.

So I got to thinking - these American elite...where do they come from and how do they get so good?  Where was soccer when I was a kid?  Surely there were youth programs out there (mumble)-odd years ago?  I play on an adult team with some ladies who have some pretty awesome skills...many played in college - at least one even against a girl on the US team (yeah, Cheryl!).  I've yet to ask them how they got into it, but let me tell you- for a kid to get into competitive soccer now, they have to get in early.  Like 8 years old early.  The travel teams around here take few new players once the teams have been established, unless the team implodes or something else happens.  At least, this is all my perspective...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Anyway, I've really developed an appreciation for the sport and the skill set that goes with it.  From watching my oldest play recreation soccer at the tender age of 5, to following her travel team around the state, to playing on a club team myself - well, let's just say I've got "foot skill" envy.  How I wish I'd have gotten into it earlier in life...I think I would have really enjoyed playing the sport - and, like last night's grown-up league game, might not feel like I've got lead-for-feet going up against some former college players!

Abby Wambach scores the goal which seals the win v. France
LET'S GO USA!  

To anyone in the area - feel free to join us this Sunday, 7/17 at our new location on the corner of Molasses Hill Road and Route 31 N in Lebanon to watch the World Cup Final...we're opening up specifically for the game and hope to get a big crowd to show support for our amazing USA ladies...Kickoff is at 2:45!

No comments:

Post a Comment