Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It can be more than just a race...

This past weekend, I ran a 5k for the first time in 2 years.  I used to love to do them at least 2 - 3 times a year, but have fallen away now that I'm focused on longer distance.  I thought I was going to hate it, because there's really no "pacing yourself" in a 5k if you want a great finish time, or at least, that's my take on it.  So basically you try to sprint the entire distance without keeling over, passing out, or throwing up.  My sister-in-law narrowly missed being hit by a puker at the finish line, but thanks to her ever-quick reflexes, managed to avoid being hit...good job, Aim (first place in her age group, by the way)!

Anyway, the main reason for participating in this 5k was that it was in support of a good friend who has become an advocate of the Sharing Network due to tragic circumstances within her own family.  The Sharing Network is an organization dedicated to facilitating the "gift of life" through organ donation.  They are a support network for both those who have lost a loved one and also for those who have received an organ or tissue transplant.

So often we may not really know how to help our friends in circumstances such as my own friend's loss.  Everyone deals with it differently, and we certainly don't want to push or be viewed as intrusive.  But we yearn to help, even if in the smallest of ways.  Races like the 5k this past weekend give us the perfect solution- not only are we giving a bit of ourselves by either walking or running, but by also becoming part of the community and showing our support for an organization such as this that gives us a chance to celebrate and remember those who have given the ultimate gift.  It was by far one of the best race experiences I've ever had and am grateful I was able to take part.  This is a yearly event that will be on my calendar permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment