Sunday, June 5, 2011

Aging is all in your head...until you try to act like a kid again.

So the spring/summer grown-up soccer league has finally started up again (yahoo!), and with all the observing I've done of the kids' training and games, I felt like I could march right onto the field and tear it up.  Learning by osmosis!  Works every time, right?


Let's just say I tore it up alright.  Only it's my hip flexor/groin area that's feeling the pain...another not-so-subtle reminder that I'm not a kid anymore (boo) and need to take better steps to keeping myself healthy.


It seems that we take what we've got for granted, or at least I'm guilty as charged on that account - I used to go from one thing to another, play as hard as I wanted, and have not one iota of a problem.  Now, one funny step, and it seems as if there'll be some muscle screaming at me to stop...my Physical Therapist husband has lectured me many times on the importance of warming up and stretching...and I know I'd be extremely irritated if I saw my kid start a game not having done something prior...so from now on, even if I'm the only one, I'm getting in at least 10 minutes of warm-up before games!  (I guess I got too caught up talking with my teammates and also making sure all 3 kids were situated on the sidelines so I wouldn't have to worry about them while I was in the game...)


I also believe that having a strong core (abdominal and back muscles both deep and closer to the surface) is key in helping to prevent injury...it keeps everything in line better, and this is sadly something I've neglected lately.  So, these next few weeks will be focused on strengthening my core, icing pulled muscles, and re-introducing strength training to my fitness regimen...and almost officially time to start training for the BIG RACE!
                                                          

Looking for a great side-dish for your next BBQ or potluck?  I found the following recipe on FoodNetwork.com, just eliminate the mozzarella to make it vegan:

Aida's Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad

 

For the dressing:

  • 1 1/2 cups packed fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

For the salad:

  • 4 ears corn, kernels removed (about 3 cups)
  • 1 1/2 pounds grape tomatoes, halved (about 3 cups)
  • 1 pound fresh mozzarella, diced
  • 2 medium avocados, diced

Directions:

Combine the dressing ingredients in a blender, using 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste; process until smooth. Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment