Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Well, doesn't everyone get socks for Valentine's Day?

Well, it's been a week since Valentine's Day and I'm delinquent with keeping my blog up to date.  I was thinking a lot about what to write, but never got in front of the computer long enough to write it down...until now.  A week late.  Well, better late than never I suppose.

I have to give a shout-out to my mom.  Why?  Because of all the funky socks in my sock drawer...I think I have at least one pair for every holiday, thus I'm always ready to celebrate, whether you can see them or not.  I recall the days leading up to Halloween, my kids would check out my feet all the time to see which socks I put on that day - pumpkins, ghosts, black cats...I'm not sure who it was more fun for - them or me.  This past Valentines Day - I goofed and wore my red fleece the day prior - and since I don't own anything else red, I was in trouble on the 14th...until I remembered I had pink socks with red hearts AND black socks with red hearts...not one, but TWO pair to choose from!  Thank God for my mom. 

It may seem goofy - I don't put a lot into most holidays (Christmas & Easter aside), but it's fun to get into it a bit...and I have the perfect excuse with my fun socks! 

My mom has learned over the years that I'm not a person of extravagance, nor do I have a penchant for things that don't serve a functional purpose.  So, after many years of trying to buy me stuff, I think she's settled on socks (better than underwear, right?).  She can still exercise her right to buy for me (because she's my mom) and she knows I'll actually use them...and like them, too. 

So taking a bit from my brother in law's blog last week, now that I have kids of my own, I can see how trying to connect with them by providing something of importance (if even only in their own eyes) can mean so much - and everyone has their own way of trying to show they care...presents, favors, 30 second hugs...I'm trying to do a better job at recognizing when someone shows me they care - even in the smallest ways. 

Since having my own three children, I've become ever more grateful for the many nights I woke my mom up for any of the following:

a) a bad dream
b) illness (ranging from a few coughs to ear infections to...well, I won't go into it)
c) just to check in

...and received all the care and attention I needed to feel better...(THANKS, MOM - for being awesome AND all my cool socks!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment