Thursday, December 8, 2011

'Tis the season to be stressed-out

Feeling a bit stressed out by the fact Christmas is only 17 days away?  I am.  Oh boy.

I miss the days where all I had to do was show up on Christmas Eve, eat some pasta for dinner, pick my pre-portioned rice pudding to see if I had a red hot candy* buried in there somewhere...and then help clean up the kitchen (in record time) and then....PRESENTS! 

*Finding the red hot candy in the rice pudding meant you got to open the first present - an old Swedish tradition my mom found in a book somewhere...but you also had to leave a bowl in the garage to appease the mischief "elf" or you'd have a year's worth of trouble (a nice way to have seconds without anyone the wiser - my mom LOVES rice pudding!)

Anyway, now that I'm the mom...there's a whole heckofalot of planning that goes into Christmas; decorating, present purchasing, "Santa-communicating", a couple different types of wrapping paper that must be hidden along with the presents so the worldly kids won't realize Santa and mom use the same type of paper...what a coincidence!  Living with the in-laws doesn't leave very many hiding spots, thus the reason I haven't done much shopping yet. 

So...to keep my sanity, I've decided I'm going to try not to sweat the small stuff.  I'm also looking for something my family and I can do for those less fortunate...I figure that while we live in a great area, they need to see that the world does not begin and end in our neighborhood and philanthropy is a very important and rewarding aspect of life.  Anyone with any ideas for families with kids under 12?  I'm all ears!

As I've also mentioned before, how we're eating is very important this time of year as well - it's almost too easy to indulge in the bad stuff because it's everywhere...just don't buy it.  If it's not in the house, it won't get eaten...

The best things to eat during the winter months are chock-full of antioxidants and vitamins...keep eating lots of fruit and veggies - "eat the rainbow" - and bypass all those highly processed carbohydrates...not only will they make you crash shortly, but any excess will go directly into storage...and 3500 calories of storage = 1 pound...dun dun dunnnnnn...

Hope you enjoy and make the most of these last few weeks of 2011...in the words of Dave Matthews, "Eat (good stuff), drink (lots of fluids) and be merry!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment